Have you ever been at a place in life where you realize that you want something different than what you are currently getting? Perhaps you realize that you want better relationships, want to make more money, be healthier, or make more of an impact in the world. In flashes of inspiration we may begin to take some preliminary steps to go in a different direction, but then we get discouraged because “real” life sets in and we then go back to our old habits. This can leave us even more discouraged because we then begin to lose hope in our ability to change anything. Well, I’m here today to offer you some solutions if you are currently here. Change is inevitable, the trick is being able to position yourself to prosper from change in the way you desire when it occurs. Here are a few ideas to keep in mind that will help you implement the change you want to see in your life.
- Write down what you want. Many of us don’t get what we want because we don’t know what we want in the first place. You have to go through the exercise of defining in very specific terms what you want. When you do this and write it down, you train your mind to recognize the things necessary to obtain it. It’s sort of like when you buy a certain type of car, you then begin to see other people driving the same type of car as you. You’ve created an emotional posted note for your brain, and your brain begins to subconsciously connect the dots for you. I’ve had so many opportunities come my way because I clearly defined what I wanted. When you live from the place of your vision, you see things on a whole new level which transcends your current circumstances.
- Do something everyday related to the change you want to see. World renowned speaker and trainer Tony Robbins says that we are the result of our daily rituals. This is so true. We become what we consistently do. If you smoke everyday, you become known as a smoker. If you read everyday, you become known as a reader. When you “x” everyday, you become known as… you fill in the blank. The greatest change comes from doing small consistent things on a daily basis as oppose to doing really huge things inconsistently. To see real change in your life, you have to become intentional about creating new habits and sticking to them. The goal is to make the positive change you desire a part of your nature. This is where most people give up, fail, and go back to their original normal which only gets them more of want they don’t like in the first place.
- Get mentors or friends (or both) that are where you want to be. This is critical. You need to surround yourself with like minded people who are as “crazy” as you are. I say crazy because the people whom you associate with that are part of your current reality will not understand why you are trying to make the changes you are attempting. To them, you will appear crazy because you are breaking their “normal” construct. And if they understand, they may hinder you from trying to get to your new destination in life because they want you to stay where they’re at. When you try to better your situation, it can make the people currently around you uncomfortable. So it is imperative to begin to bring new people into your life who will support, affirm, and assist you in the changes you are making. They will act as coaches and partners that uplift you when you feel like giving up. We are the product of our 5 closest relationships.
- Measure your progress. It’s not always easy to spot when change is occurring in your life. So every now and then you need to stop and take inventory of where you started and where you are currently at. When you measure your results, it will encourage you when you see how far you have come. That’s why personal trainers have their clients take before and after pictures. You may not notice a 2 pound weight loss with your naked eye, but it feels good when you see a lower weight on the scale. Measuring your progress also allows you see what isn’t working. If you are not making any progress within a certain amount of time, that may be a sign that you need to try a different strategy to reach your aim.
- Feed Your Mind. You have to fuel your mind with images, literature, and experiences that align with the change you seek after. Your mind is your most powerful ally in changing your life. Your thoughts will either make you or break you. The information we consume acts as the gasoline that takes us where we want to go. Listen to motivational speeches, read autobiographies, listen to empowering music, and watch shows that will inspire you on your journey. Also seek to create new experiences for yourself that allow you to envision yourself living in the change you desire. Go look at houses in the neighborhood you want to live in, test drive the car you want to drive, save up and go on a trip, etc.
Change is possible in your life. You have to believe it at your core and continue to reaffirm that belief through action, thought, and whom you associate with. You are powerful and can do all things. See you at the top!